In the blink of an eye, summertime has this way of fading away and transitioning into fall. Which means we need to say goodbye to summer Fridays, rooftop rosée, picnics in the park, beach days, and so much more—giving us even more of a reason to soak up what we have left of our favorite season. To make sure every day we have left is optimized, we've decided to create an unofficial checklist of the absolute best things to do before summer ends.
It's everything you can't do or that just won't be the same once the season changes. And as much as we want to encourage you to go out and take adventures, there are also plenty of exciting things you can do at home in case travel just isn't in the cards this year. Since we're a little over halfway through summer, you've still got plenty of time to check off most of these 33 things to do before summer ends (or the whole shebang, for that matter). Go on, see what's on our bucket list—and then enjoy these awesome seasonal activities. We dare you.
1. Check all of the books off of your summer reading list and then plan your fall picks.
2. Have an alfresco brunch. Sunday brunch with friends gets an upgrade when you make a reservation somewhere that has patio seating.
3. Go to an outdoor concert with "open" seating and take in some of your favorite songs in awesome weather.
4. Venture out to an orchard to pick fruit like blueberries or strawberries; then whip up some scones with the fresh produce.
5. Take a boat ride, letting the wind whip your hair around. Break for a pit stop at a beachy lunch spot for an end-of-summer farewell.
6. Visit a swimming hole to go for a float.
7. Make lemonade or the oh-so-nostalgic sun tea to cool off on a scorching day.
8. Host a barbecue with all the traditional fixings (let your guests bring the sides).
9. Play a game of volleyball whether at the beach or in your backyard (don't forget a prize for the winners).
10. Draw with sidewalk chalk. Even if you don't have kids, it will bring you back to your youth.
11. Take a bike ride in a beach town. If you're brave, try the boardwalk, but the traffic can get a little out of control.
12. Stargaze on a totally clear night. Get a telescope for maximum visibility.
13. Treat yourself to an insanely bright pedicure—yellow, orange, Day-Glo pink (you name it). This is the time of year to do it.
14. Go camping and enjoy the great outdoors. It doesn't have to cost much if you choose a campsite without fees.
15. Have a water balloon fight—because you don't have to be a kid to enjoy getting wet or a little friendly competition.
16. Check out a county fair and indulge in live music, local food, and hanging with friends.
17. Do something on a rooftop: get cocktails, host a book club, or even read a magazine.
18. Hit up your favorite mom-and-pop ice cream spot—you know, the one with the seriously long line—and order your favorite flavor.
19. Sport a flash tat or temporary henna (it doesn't even have to be for a festival).
20. Stay in your swimsuit all day long. We mean it—no proper clothes.
21. Make a salad only with ingredients from the farmers market. You won't believe how fresh it will taste.
22. Take a joy ride with the top down (or even the sunroof open) on a trip to nowhere.
23. Light some sparklers and watch them flicker in the night sky.
24. Go for a midnight swim in the pool when all the stars are out.
25. Take a picnic to the park and invite all of your friends. Spend the whole day there playing frisbee, listening to music, and just hanging.
26. Head to a drive-in movie theater and load up on all of your favorite snacks.
27. Lounge in a hammock. Actually, why not just take a nap there?
28. Feel the sand between your toes in all its grainy goodness.
29. Watch for fireflies as they light up the sky.
30. Order a tropical cocktail with an umbrella in it (then plan your winter island getaway).
31. Take a trip to an amusement park and ride the biggest roller coaster. Hit the water park if it has one, too.
32. Fly a kite on a windy day (the little ones you know will particularly enjoy this).
33. Take a moment to appreciate nature and all its amazingness. Stand in a flower field, go for a walk on the beach, or take a mental picture of a gorgeous summer sunset.
Plus, there's still time for a getaway. Learn all about the summer travel destinations we're into right now.