When you were a kid, snow days were magical. As soon as you woke up, you'd peek through the blinds hoping with all your might that the ground would be carpeted in a dense layer of snow. But now that you’re an adult with mounting deadlines and a jam-packed schedule to deal with, snows days have lost a bit of their magic and can feel like more of an inconvenience.
If you’re stuck indoors and are utterly bored, we’re making a case to invert the way you think about your day off. Once you’ve set your out-of-office reply, use the day as a chance to do all the activities you’re too busy for—the things you once loved doing but don’t get around to on the regular. Perhaps it’s getting creative with an easel and paintbrush or maybe it’s finally finishing that novel that’s been sitting on your nightstand for months.
There’s no time to be bored—here are 22 fun ways to pass the time.
1. Play a board game. Choose an old-school one you have not played in forever. Props if it’s called Mall Madness.
2. Transform your bathroom into a home spa. Light scented candles, fill a bath with bubbles and hot water, and relax. Give yourself a mani-pedi. Use all those pricey samples that are taking up space in the bottom drawer of your vanity!
3. Start reading a new book.
4. Binge-watch that television show you’ve been hearing so much about.
5. Have a movie marathon. Pick a genre (romantic comedy, period drama, etc.) or actress (Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon, etc.), and watch three movies in a row.
6. Throw a snowed-in dinner. Call your friends or family members who live within walking distance to your house. Ask them to bring over whatever wine and provisions they have on hand, and throw an impromptu dinner party.
7. Clean out your closet. You’re stuck at home, so you might as well do something productive!
8. Get lost on Pinterest. That gallery wall you’ve been wanting to find pictures for? Use this time to find them now!
9. Do an online meditation course.
10. Open a good bottle of wine you’ve been saving for a special occasion, and enjoy it with a plate of scrambled eggs.
11. Take an online course. Now’s the time to finally learn to make your own website.
12. Experiment with different hairstyles. Wash your hair; then try curling it with your straightening iron.
13. Update your LinkedIn profile, and reach out to a person in your industry who you admire.
14. Play dress-up in your own closet. You’ve probably got something coming up that you need an outfit for, right? Figure out what you are going to wear on that date, job interview, or trip now.
15. Put on your snow clothes and go outside for a snow romp!
16. Do a little online shopping.
18. Have a crafternoon: Make Valentine’s Day cards, a collage, painting, or scrapbook.
19. Learn everything there is to know about contouring.
20. Plan your next vacation!
21. Get creative, and create a new artwork for your home.
22. Change up the furniture layout in your apartment or living room. You have nothing to do and nowhere to be, so just relax and be happy!
What’s your favorite snow-day activity?