Time flies when you’re having fun, so it's no surprise that you and your S.O. are about to celebrate another 12 months together. If you're seemingly always going out to the same restaurants, it probably doesn’t seem very special to celebrate with dinner (unless you secured a reservation at the coolest place in town). To help save you from another year of borderline boring anniversary plans, we've rounded up some of the best under-the-radar things to do instead.
From sexy salsa lessons to spontaneous road trips to dreamy merry-go-round rides, we've got you covered with fun date ideas that are sure to liven up your annual celebration. Keep scrolling for inspired ways to keep the spark alive on your anniversary. We've got you covered with creative ways to embrace romance (minus the cringe factor). Now, all that's left to do is pop a bottle of bubbly and raise your glasses to another wonderful year together. Cheers!
1. Salsa-dance the night away with a private lesson. What better way to heat things up?
2. Have a cook-off at home: One person cooks dinner, and the other’s on dessert duty. Whoever’s recipe turns out best doesn’t have to do the dishes.
3. Attend a local mixology class so you can learn to whip up little-known cocktails. How’s that for a party trick?
4. Rent out a private room at a karaoke bar—and woo your partner with your singing skills (or lack thereof).
5. Book a room at the chicest hotel in town for a mini staycation. Don’t forget the bubbly, rose petals, and all that good stuff.
6. Rewind and re-create your first date—whether it’s been six months or six years, there’s no better way to remember the good old days.
7. Busy days mean you need to slow down and appreciate the little things. If your day falls during the week, enjoy breakfast in bed before rushing off to work.
8. Pick a romantic piece of art to re-create at Paint Nite (don’t forget to BYOB)—then hang the masterpiece as a remembrance.
9. Take a week to write mini toasts to each other, then share them on your special day.
10. Pack a picnic of all your favorite foods as a couple, and enjoy them at the park (if it’s raining, the living room floor will totally do).
11. Find a drive-in movie theater and catch a flick—is there anything cuter than cozying up in your car?
12. Book flights to your favorite beach destination (be sure to turn on your out-of-office message).
13. Head out on a spontaneous road trip and see where the drive takes you.
14. Catch your favorite type of live music—jazz, rock, classical, or whatever makes your heart skip a beat.
15. Go for a couples bike ride around town, stopping at all your favorite spots along the way for coffee, ice cream, you name it.
16. Find an old-fashioned merry-go-round and take a romantic ride.
17. Hit up a comedy club—the couple that laughs together stays together.
18. Want someone to pick an activity for you? Join DateBox to get a fun date idea delivered straight to your door (ideas include a couples scavenger hunt and sushi making).
This story was originally published on May 16, 2017, and has since been updated.