“There wasn’t much that didn’t give away the age of this kitchen—the knotty oak cabinets, terracotta floor with its dark and dirty grout, a dated tile countertop, need I go on?” asks interior designer Aparna Vijayan.
Meet the Expert
Aparna Vijayan is a designer and architect at Ulrich, Inc. in Ridgewood, N.J., who uses her art and architecture background to blend upscale aesthetics with practical and functional design.
“I wanted to create a glamorous kitchen so the homeowners, both busy doctors who work long hours, could spend their down time entertaining friends and family in a modern yet efficient space,” says Vijayan. "There’s an island for food prep along with a peninsula where their three kids can eat or do homework.”
“Pops of purple and hits of metallic silver and gold give this space a futuristic feel,” adds Vijayan. “Silver ventilation panels in the peninsula cleverly hide the baseboard heating.”
- Color theme: White, silver, and purple—a hue that is carried throughout the house—define the space.
- Backsplash: The Carrera stone backsplash has a modern chevron pattern that includes strips of glass woven within the marble. The linear metal backsplash by the bar is a mix of copper, brushed, and polished stainless steel.
- Cabinets: The flat-paneled contemporary doors are painted in silvery hue, while a pop of plum on the upper bar cabinets create a modern yet vintage vibe. Stainless steel cabinets front the storage drawers by the oven.
- Hardware: Polished chrome is mixed with satin gold handles throughout the kitchen.
- Stools: The adjustable barstools, with their grey leatherette bucket seats, add a contemporary flair to the peninsula.
- Pendants: Three origami-like satin gold pendants sparkle over the island and peninsula.
- Window treatments: A curtain-free window aligns with the clean, contemporary design.
- Sink: The oversized 48” galley sink features two faucets, allowing twice the space for prep and cleanup.
- Countertops: The easy-to-maintain quartz countertops provide a quiet foreground to the dramatic backsplash.
- Flooring: The scratch-proof vinyl flooring mimics wood and contains shades of gray, tan, and brown.
- Appliances: Most of the stainless steel appliances live on one wall, including the refrigerator, beverage cooler, refrigerator drawers, and double ovens. A custom hood, made of polished and stainless steel, hangs over the stove while the dishwasher is concealed behind cabinetry.