I've been obsessed with Tortilla Soup for years! It probably has something to do with the fact that I grew up in Arizona and it was basically on every menu, in every restaurant, and I made it my personal mission to try as many as humanly possible. Nowadays I'm whipping up my own tortilla soup and topping it with an assortment of my favorite add-ins like shredded chicken, cotija cheese, avocado, cilantro, and fried tortilla strips!
||Blend this soup in seconds with this multi-tasking kitchen wizard. All-Clad Immersion Blender, $100, Williams-Sonoma.
|For the soup:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 onion, roughly chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, stem and seeds removed, roughly chopped
kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
1 14-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes and green chiles
3 cups chicken stock
2 small corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
1. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and jalapeño, and sauté until the onion is translucent and the jalapeño softens, about five minutes.
2. Season with the salt, pepper, dried oregano, cumin, and chipotle pepper. Stir to combine and cook for 1-2 minutes, until the spices toast.
2. Add the fire-roasted tomatoes and the chicken stock, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 more minutes.
3. To make the tortilla strips, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a small skillet. Once hot, add the tortilla strips in a single layer, frying quickly for about 30-45 seconds, flipping them once to ensure both sides get crisp. Once crisp, remove with a pair of tongs and transfer the stips to a paper towel-lined plate to dry.
4. Using an immersion blender, blend the simmering soup ingredients until smooth. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.
5. Divide the soup into 4 bowls and top with chicken, cheese, avocado, cilantro, and crisp tortilla strips. Add lime juice if desired. Serve immediately.
For more healthy recipe inspiration and fun lifestyle content, check out What's Gaby Cooking
Photographs: Gaby Dalkin