Sometimes I can't put into words what motherhood is like as the feeling is so special. Until you actually have a child, you’ll never really know. That said, there are some things on the topic of motherhood that no one really talks about, so I’m here to bravely go there. For starters, being a mom is one of the best experiences I have had, and it’s the one that gives me the most satisfaction. If you’re a mommy-in-waiting, I’m excited for you.
- You are completely hypnotized by this human being. You can almost never take your eyes off of them. I can watch my kids all day; they do the funniest things without realizing it, which makes it even more enjoyable.
- How much your boobs hurt when the milk comes in. Here’s a tip: Keep green cabbage in the fridge and put it on them when they hurt. Once you become a mom, your body changes in a way you didn't think was possible, but it’s worth it!
- Your body doesn’t go back to what it used to be as quickly as you’d like—unless you’re a supermodel. I’m still trying to lose the baby weight, and my kids are six and four. Whoever tells you that you can drop the pounds overnight is lying—or I clearly need to find a new trainer.
- Parenting is the hardest but most rewarding thing you can ever possibly do. It’s endless, all the time, and never stops, which is something I don’t think anyone is used to. This is why you need to take a day to yourself every so often, so you can recharge.
- Having sex again is an uphill battle. Finding the time is a struggle, but when you become a mom, your bedroom also now has an open-door policy. Taking that risk is too mortifying for me.
- Children believe everything you say and do everything you do. Having someone who truly looks to you for everything is possibly the most innocent and sweet thing. A child’s naiveté is humbling.
- You will never have anyone more excited to see you than your child. Coming home and having my kids run up to me still makes my day, and having unconditional love when your kids are young is the best feeling in the world.
- It is so hard to leave your kids to go out of town without them. Saying goodbye, even if it is for a day, is so tough. FaceTime is my new best friend.
- Some version of paranoia you never had can overcome your entire being. Every second thought is about your kids and where they are, what they are doing, and how they are feeling.
- You will never be more in love with anyone ever again. However loud, crazy, and time-consuming my kids can be, the love I have for them is indescribable. I would never change it for the world.
What would you add to this list? Tell us below.