>During the last few weeks of December, it’s fun to look at the year-end, best-of lists compiled by different publications and websites. One that recently caught my wine-loving eye is Wine Spectator’s Top 100 Most Exciting Wines of 2015. I immediately clicked because I was curious to see if I had enjoyed any of the wines that made the cut. For the past 27 years, Wine Spectator has been seeking out sensational bottles from all over the globe. The magazine reviews 20,000 new releases per year, starting with a blind taste of each wine. Then they remove the brown bags and further taste the wine with the knowledge of region, variety, and producer.
>It’s a rigorous selection process to be considered for the list—all of the wines must receive 90 points or higher on Wine Spectator’s 100-point scale. They also must be available to the American market and have value based on price. The average cost of the wines that are on the list is $47 per bottle. The number one honor goes to a bottle from California, Peter Michael Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville Au Paradis, which retails for $195. Below I’ve pasted the top 20 wines; for the entire list visit Wine Spectator.
- Peter Michael Cabernet Sauvignon Oakville Au Paradis, 2012
- Quilceda Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Columbia Valley, 2012
- Evening Land Pinot Noir Eola-Amity Hills Seven Springs Vineyard La Source, 2012
- Il Poggione Brunello di Montalcino, 2010
- Mount Eden Vineyards Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains, 2012
- Bodegas Aalto Ribera del Duero, 2012
- Escarpment Pinot Noir Martinborough Kupe Single Vineyard, 2013
- Masi Amarone della Valpolicella Classico Serègo Alighieri Vaio Armaron, 2008
- Clos Fourtet St.-Emilion, 2012
- Klein Constantia Vin de Constance Constantia, 2009
- Big Table Farm Pinot Noir Willamette Valley, 2012
- Limerick Lane Zinfandel Russian River Valley, 2012
- La Serena Brunello di Montalcino, 2010
- Bergström Pinot Noir Ribbon Ridge Le Pré Du Col Vineyard, 2013
- Abadia Retuerta Viño de la Tierra de Castilla y León Sardon de Duero Selección Especial, 2011
- Taylor Fladgate Late Bottled Port, 2009
- Turley Petite Syrah Howell Mountain Rattlesnake Ridge, 2013
- Altesino Brunello di Montalcino Montosoli, 2010
- Dehlinger Pinot Noir Russian River Valley Altamont, 2013
- Meiomi Pinot Noir Monterey-Sonoma-Santa Barbara Counties, 2013
>When you invest in a bottle of Napa Cab Sav, it’s fun to serve it in an elegant decanter.
>What was your favorite wine of the year?