If there’s something we never get tired of seeing, it’s a great makeover. Whether it’s transforming a retro bathroom into a modern oasis or giving a lackluster bedroom a fresh look, pros perform these design miracles all the time.
To give designers a chance to showcase their favorite makeovers—and to bring you plenty of inspiration for your own home—we’re sharing the best before and afters we’ve seen in our series, Makeover of the Week. Take notes for your next renovation.
“My young clients were anticipating twins and needed to turn a spare bedroom into a nursery,” interior designer Michelle Gage says. “They knew they were having a boy and a girl and wanted woodland-themed décor, as it would work for both sexes.”
Meet the Expert
Michelle Gage, owner of Michelle Gage Interiors in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has an affinity for playful prints and saturated colors.
“This room was pretty much a blank canvas with white walls and hardwood floors," Gage notes. "The biggest hurdle was figuring out the right floor plan to accommodate two cribs and all the baby furniture."
“I wanted the space to serve the needs of the children while also creating a serene space for the parents to hang out in,” Gage says.
- Color theme: Green and neutral tones create a peaceful yet engaging space.
- Wallpaper: The woodland forest wallpaper is dotted with trees, rivers, and deer.
- Cribs: White Jenny Lind spindle framed cribs are both functional and stylish.
- Pendant: A rattan light fixture ties into the room’s organic feel.
- Dresser: This light wood dresser is the perfect height for a changing table.
- Armchair: A comfy rocker provides a place to feed the babies and the slipcover makes for easy cleaning.
- Side table: A tree stump functions as a piece of furniture and also as a piece of art.
- Pouf: A brown leather Moroccan style ottoman has embroidered details and makes for the perfect footrest.
- Window treatment: Tan rattan shades block the sunlight during naps.
- Shelves: The locally made shelves work well with the room’s woodsy aesthetic.
- Rug: A dark green boho-style area carpet grounds the space.
- Animals: Animal busts add a whimsical note to the wall while a sheep adds to the bucolic feel.
Shop the Look:
“These classic cribs are well priced and will go with almost any room décor,” Gage notes.
“There’s nothing more important than having a comfortable chair in a nursery,” notes Gage.
“I love the soft nature and natural feel of a handmade leather ottoman,” Gage shares.