Now You Know: This Is the Worst Mistake You Can Make When Trying to Get Fit

Updated 07/07/17

When it comes to getting in shape, some of the best intentions can often lead to the biggest mistakes. That's according to certified dietitian Leslie Langevin of Whole Health Nutrition who recently spoke to Popsugar about the most common mistake she sees people make when trying to get fit.

"Cutting out too much," she told the site. She believes that "limiting [yourself] to protein shakes" and "cutting out all carbs" is simply not a long-term solution. "As soon as you go back to eating all those delicious off-limit foods like cookies, ice cream, wine, and pasta, the weight will come back on, and the cravings and binge-eating can also come on strong," Popsugar adds.

While it's great to have so much health information at our disposal via the internet, it's important to be realistic about what's actually sustainable (rather than getting caught up in the latest fad). Cutting out dairy, gluten, alcohol, caffeine, sugar, and carbs all at once, for example, is not a feasible diet for many people. What's more, eating healthy doesn't have to be so black and white; it's about leveling with yourself in regards to what you're willing to give up.

Langevin recommends the 80/20 approach, which involves eating clean and healthy 80% of the time and allowing yourself to indulge the other 20% of the time. Assuming you're eating the standard three meals a day, for example, that leaves room for two indulgent meals per week.

What do you think of Leslie Langevin's healthy lifestyle advice? Sound off in the comments below!

Related Stories