PSA: This Common Sugar Substitute Could Be Toxic for Your Dog

Updated 09/07/17
@damselindior

While you probably know to keep your pet away from chocolate, there are other substances dog owners should be aware of. As Alameda county reports, xylitol, a common sugar substitute, could be a serious danger to your pup—and it's hiding in common pantry items like chewing gum, peanut butter, breath mints, mouthwash, candies, toothpaste, and chewable vitamins.

One dog's untimely passing in Alameda, California, recently brought xylitol to the public's attention; the pup ate discarded food containing the toxic substance without the owner's knowledge. The city has since alerted the public via their local government Facebook page, reminding dog owners what products and foods should be kept away from their pets.

The FDA explains that xylitol is dangerous for dogs because they absorb it too quickly in their bloodstreams, releasing a deadly amount of insulin that can cause a rapid drop in blood sugar. However, the alternative sweetener does not have the same effect on people.

You can keep your pup safe by checking product labels for xylitol and making sure they are out of reach. You can also find alternative products that don't contain this sugar substitute. Be sure to find toothpaste made for dogs, and be wary when using peanut butter as a treat or as a way to get your dog to take pills, as some may contain xylitol.

Does this news about xylitol come as a surprise to you? Share your thoughts below.

Related Stories